Prince Harry is challenging a government decision that he should not receive police protection when on British soil.

Britain’s Prince Harry is challenging a government decision that he should not receive police protection when on British soil even if he covers the cost himself, his legal representatives said.

Harry, Queen Elizabeth’s grandson, and his American wife Meghan quit royal duties in 2020 to forge new careers in Los Angeles. Subsequently the couple have relied upon a private security team.

However, his legal representatives said that these arrangements did not give the prince the level of protection he needed while visiting Britain.

“In the absence of such protection, Prince Harry and his family are unable to return to his home,” the statement said. It cited an incident in July 2021 where they said his security had been compromised whilst leaving a charity event due to the lack of police protection.

Harry’s mother Princess Diana died in a 1997 car crash while trying to escape paparazzi photographers.

The government has previously dismissed two offers to pay for police protection, the prince’s lawyers said. A spokesperson said the process behind those decisions had been opaque and inconsistent and failed to consider the full risks.

Asked about the statement a government spokesperson said that the UK government’s protective security system was “rigorous and proportionate”, and that it was its long-standing policy not to provide detailed information on any arrangements as this could compromise individuals’ security.

The spokesperson also said it would be “inappropriate” to comment in detail on any legal proceedings.

Harry sought a judicial review – a legal challenge to the lawfulness of decisions taken by a public body – in September 2021, the statement said. His lawyers said they had decided to make that information public due to a leak in the British press.

“The UK will always be Prince Harry’s home and a country he wants his wife and children to be safe in,” the statement said.

“With the lack of police protection comes too great a personal risk. Prince Harry hopes that his petition – after close to two years of pleas for security in the UK – will resolve this situation.”

http://www.oneworldvisionnews.com

Jubilation as Nine abducted police Officers regain their freedom.

According to the report that got our news dest, it ssys that a senior police officer confirmed to our correspondent that the police men, who were earlier believed to have been abducted by the insurgents, found their way to the camp on Saturday.

As many as nine police instructors reported missing after scores of Islamic State West Africa Province fighters attacked the Police Mobile Force Training College, Limankara, Gwoza, Borno State, have returned to their camp.

A senior police officer confirmed to our news source that the men, who were earlier believed to have been abducted by the insurgents, found their way to the camp on Saturday.

The insurgents had launched a ferocious attack on the police college on Thursday, with many Rocket-Propelled Guns for almost two hours before they overwhelmed the beleaguered policemen inside the school.

The Borno State Commissioner of Police, Mr Abdu Umar, had confirmed the attack to journalists in Maiduguri on Friday but denied the abduction of the police officers.

However, reliable police sources explained that nine out of the 21 instructors in the school were reported missing after the insurgents broke into the college when the policemen ran out of ammunition.

Our correspondent was informed that the military failed to send reinforcements despite the fact that an army checkpoint was located not far from the school.

Shedding light on the attack, a senior police officer said the attackers came from three angles, adding that they would not have overrun the school had there been reinforcement.

The source stated that the policemen ran out of ammunition and later resorted to smoke gas which prevented the terrorists from entering the college for some time.

From Gwoza town to Limankara is just 15km and there is an army formation there. The policemen said they called for reinforcement but there was no response. Nine instructors were kidnapped out of the 21 instructors in the camp.

The place wasn’t fortified, the authorities only repaired the fence that was damaged by the terrorists during previous attacks. They were about restarting training there before this latest attack.

Another source said the school was not properly fortified, noting that the policemen could have successfully repelled the attack if they had a functional armoured tank.

He also lamented the failure of the military to send reinforcement, noting that help could have come for the policemen within five minutes.

The officer added, “If there was coordination among the forces, reinforcements can get to the training school within five minutes because there is an army checkpoint around that place. You know it is between Madagali and Gwoza, that place is the border between Adamawa and Borno but it is under Borno.

So, there is a checkpoint close to the place. If the school has a standard armoured tank, there is no way the insurgents can breach the camp.

The senior officer recalled the short time reinforcements took during a peacekeeping operation in Mali.

He noted, When we were in Mali on a peacekeeping operation, when we called for reinforcement whenever we were under attack; from Bamako to our location is one hour, 45 minutes but within a few minutes, the reinforcement will be there. But in Nigeria, it is the next morning reinforcement would come.

The instructors ran out of ammo and the insurgents were using RPGs and the policemen did not have any RPG. It was the smoke gas that helped the instructors to resist the attacks for some time.

Rivalry (between the security forces) is the issue. Nobody came to the rescue of the men from 8pm when the attack started till around 10pm.

http://www.oneworldvisionnews.com

The Former Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko planned to return to Ukraine on Monday, January 17.

Former Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko said on Sunday he planned to return to Ukraine on Monday (Jan 17) despite the threat of arrest in a treason case he says was trumped up by allies of current President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

Poroshenko’s return sets up a showdown with Zelenskiy’s government in what critics say is an ill-judged distraction at a time when Ukraine is bracing for a possible Russian military offensive and appealing to Western allies for support.

Western diplomats have called for political unity in Ukraine ahead of Poroshenko’s arrival.

Poroshenko is being investigated for alleged treason linked to the financing of Russian-backed separatist fighters through illegal coal sales while in office in 2014-15. His party accused Zelenskiy of a reckless attempt to silence political opposition.

If you ask me if I will be arrested, definitely not. Not because I am so confident but because I have no, absolutely zero reason for that, I return to Ukraine to fight for Ukraine, not to fight with Zelenskiy, Poroshenko told reporters in Warsaw.

Zelenskiy’s administration has distanced itself from the investigation, saying the prosecutors and judiciary are independent and accusing Poroshenko of thinking he was above the law.

On Friday, Zelenskiy’s chief of staff Andriy Yermak batted away suggestions that Zelenskiy was behaving like the Russian-backed former president Viktor Yanukovich, whose political rival Yulia Tymoshenko was jailed in December 2010.

Ukraine and its allies have sounded the alarm about tens of thousands of Russian troops massed near its borders.

After days of diplomacy last week achieved no breakthrough, the United States said on Friday Russia was preparing a pretext for an attack, something the Kremlin dismissed as unfounded.

At this time more than ever it seems to me that all political leaders in #ukraine need to show unity, avoiding actions that may polarise,” Melinda Simmons, the British ambassador to Ukraine, said in a tweet on Saturday.

We are demanding unity of the whole democratic forces to protect Ukraine…I am absolutely optimistic about the possibility of this unity, of democratic, responsible opposition forces,” Poroshenko said.

Poroshenko’s return to Kyiv from Warsaw on Monday coincides with the whistle-stop visit from the new German foreign minister, who will then head to Moscow for talks on Tuesday.

A confectionary tycoon and one of Ukraine’s richest citizens, Poroshenko was elected as head of a pro-Western government after the 2014 Maidan street protests ousted Yanukovich.

Relations between Ukraine and Russia collapsed after Russia’s annexation of Crimea and support for separatist fighters in a war in eastern Ukraine that broke out the same year.

Zelenskiy trounced Poroshenko in a landslide election in 2019 on a ticket to tackle corruption and curb the influence of oligarchs in the former Soviet republic.

Prosecutors in December asked a Ukrainian court to arrest Poroshenko, with the possibility of bail set at 1 billion hryvnia (US$37 million).

http://www.oneworldvisionnews.com

Everton manager Rafael Benitez has been sacked.

Rafael Benitez was sacked as Everton manager on Sunday (Jan 16) after just eight months in charge of the struggling Premier League club.

Benitez was an unpopular appointment in June last year after his long spell with Everton’s Merseyside rivals Liverpool.

The Spaniard paid the price for a dismal run of nine defeats in Everton’s last 13 league matches, culminating in a 2-1 loss at lowly Norwich on Saturday.

Everton Football Club can confirm the departure of Rafael Benitez as first-team manager, a club statement said.

Benitez, who joined Everton in June 2021, has left the club with immediate effect.

An update on a permanent replacement will be made in due course.”

Everton fans had made clear their desire for Benitez to be axed during the limp loss at Norwich.

They chanted for his dismissal and held up a banner reading ‘Benitez get out of our club’, while one supporter invaded the pitch in an attempt to confront the former Real Madrid boss.

Everton held an emergency board meeting on Saturday evening to discuss Benitez’s future, with the talks leading to his departure on Sunday.

Benitez’s controversial appointment was a major gamble by Everton owner Farhad Moshiri.

Benitez had infuriated Everton fans by describing them as a “small” club during his time at Liverpool, who he led to a Champions League final triumph against AC Milan in 2005.

Last month, Moshiri stood by Benitez, claiming the 61 year old would be given time to get things right with new signings and injured players coming back.

But Everton’s results have shown no signs of improving and, with the mood among the fans increasingly toxic, it was clear Benitez would have to go.

He leaves Goodison Park with Everton languishing in 16th place, just six points above the relegation zone.

http://www.oneworldvisionnews.com

Court fixes Feb 10 for hearing of suit seeking to stop Abba Kyari arrest.

The Federal High Court in Abuja, on Wednesday ixed February 10, for hearing of a suit seeking to stop the Nigeria Police and the Attorney-General of the Federation from arresting and extraditing suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari.

Due to absence of legal representation of both plaintiff and respondents’ counsel, the court had to adjourn the case.

The Judge had also directed the applicant to serve all court processes in respect of the case on the two respondents.

Justice Okorowo, thereafter, observed that though the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/854/2021, was instituted on Augustine 9, 2021, there was no proof in the court’s file that any of the Respondents (Police and the AGF), were served with the relevant processes.

It is either the Applicant has lost interest in the case or the case is abandoned, the judge noted.

However, the court decided that it would, in the interest of justice, further adjourn the matter till February 10, even as it ordered service of fresh hearing notices on all the parties.

Meanwhile, a group, under the aegis of the Incorporated Trustees of Northern Peace Foundation, had in the heat of the investigation by the FBI, approached the court, praying it to halt any plan to extradite the embattled DCP to the US.

DCP Abba Kyari was allegedly indicted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in an alleged multi-million naira advanced fee fraud said to have been perpetrated by a Nigerian citizen, Ramon Olorunwa Abbas, popularly known as Hushpuppi.

http://www.oneworldvisionnews.com

Katsina state Governor, Aminu Masari has announced the reopening of market shut down five months ago.

According to a report Governor Aminu Masari of Katsina State has ordered the immediate reopening of all filling stations and cattle markets earlier closed as a result of cattle rustling and banditry in the state.

However, the governor urged the two emirate councils in the state to admonish district and village heads of the affected areas to be vigilant and ensure that no act of connivance by Sarakunan Fawa and others is allowed.

In a statement by Secretary to the State Government, Mustapha Muhammad Inuwa, the government warned that it would not hesitate to re-enact the closure where a resurgence of any dubious activity was noticed. 

Recall that in August 2021, Masari had ordered the closure of the markets. Regarding the closure of Kankara-Sheme Road to commercial vehicles, motorists were advised to go through Funtua.

http://www.oneworldvisionnews.com

Nigeria Federal High court has given Mazi Nnamdi Kanu three days to challenge the 7 count charges leveled against him by FG.

The federal high court in Abuja has granted the self-acclaimed leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu three days to present his case for fresh bail and to challenge the competence of the fresh terrorism charges brought against him by the federal government.

A 7-count terrorism charge was on Thursday, October 21, 2021, leveled on Kanu in which he pleaded not guilty and opted to challenge the validity of the alleged heinous crimes.

A hearing notice issued by the federal high court for the determination of the two motions filed by Kanu and sighted by oneworld on Sunday indicated that three days have been earmarked for the matter.

The hearing notice served by the federal government through the Federal Ministry of Justice and to Kanu through his lawyer, Ifeanyi Ejiofor fixed January 18, 19 and 20, 2022 consecutively for the disposal of the two motions.

Mazi Nnamdi Kanu is also expected to use the three days to challenge the court’s jurisdiction to try him on the terrorism charge on the grounds that the alleged offences were committed in the United Kingdom and not in Nigeria.

http://www.oneworldvisionnews.com

Former Malian President, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita confirmed dead.

Late Ibrahim Boubacar Keita, former Malian president.

Oneworldnews laernt that the former Malian president Ibrahim Boubacar Keita is dead, his former justice minister and an ex-advisor told oneworld newsmen on Sunday.

He was 76 years and the cause of his death is not yet understood.

President Boubacar, known as IBK, ran the West African country from September 2013 to August 2020, a turbulent period that saw a violent Islamist insurgency take over large areas of the centre and north, helping drain his popularity.

He was forced out by a military coup after months of anti-government protests. A former advisor said he died at home in the capital Bamako.

http://www.oneworldvisionnews.com

So Terrible: Bandit shot dead four person’s in a wedding reception in Kaduna state.

It has been reported that Four persons were killed by terrorists who opened fire at a wedding reception in Diko village, Idasu district in Giwa Local Government Area of Kaduna state on Friday. 

The State Commissioner of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, confirmed the incident in a statement on Saturday, January 15.

The marauding bandits stormed a wedding ceremony in the village, shooting sporadically, Aruwan stated. 

These are the names of those who were shot dead by terrorist; Malam Ibrahim, Saidu Haruna, Abdulkadir Adamu, Nababa Ahmad.

In another incident, terrorists killed one Kankomi Maikarfi in Sabon Garin Kufana, Kajuru LGA.

Receiving the reports, Governor Nasir El-Rufa’i expressed his grief at the incidents and condemned the brutal attacks by the terrorists.

He sent his heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims, as he prayed for the repose of their souls.

http://www.oneworldvisionnews.com