Taiwan foreign minister alleges that China using military drill to prepare for invasion.

Homepage News..

U S is committed to working collaboratively with the Philippines to defend the rule of the law, says Blinken.

Homepage News channel learnt that America’s top diplomat pay a visit to philippine and spoke about protecting democracy and precious maritime resources.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has paid a visit to Manila to meet the Philippines’ newly elected leader and reassure him of Washington’s full support in the face of China’s destabilizing and dangerous actions, following US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s trip to Taiwan.

uS state secretary Anthony Blinken arrive Manila Philippine.

The 1951 Mutual Defense Treaty between Washington and Manila remains “ironclad, Blinken said at a joint press conference with his Philippines counterpart, Enrique Manalo, on Saturday. 

We always stand by our partners an armed attack on Philippines’ armed forces, public vessels, or aircraft in the South China Sea would invoke US mutual defense commitments under that treaty, the top US diplomat said.

Besides discussing regional security issues with Foreign Secretary Manalo and President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, Blinken said they also spoke about deepening economic relations and strengthening democracy.

Anthony Blinken and President Ferdinand Jr, of Philippine.

Blinken has become the highest ranking US official to meet with the Philippines’ newly elected leader, a former dictator’s son, who was sworn in on June 30 after a landslide election victory earlier this year.

The United States is committed to working collaboratively with the Philippines to defend the rule of the law, protect human rights and fundamental freedoms including freedom of expression and safeguard civil society,” Blinken said.

In addition to working with the Philippines to help secure its maritime domain, we also partner with Filipino fishermen and scientific researchers to preserve and protect the Philippines’ precious maritime resources.

Speaking to the press, Secretary Manalo also touted the two countries’ “common values and shared commitment to democracy, and welcomed Washington’s assurances it was ready to recognize Manila as an equal, sovereign partner.

We looked at strengthening our cooperation to better address current and emerging security threats and cross-cutting challenges, he added obscurely, barely mentioning China in the context of the Philippines’ territorial and fishing disputes with Beijing.

Anthony Blinken and President Ferdinand Jr, of Philippine.

Managing relations with Washington and Beijing is a delicate issue for Manila. Located on the edge of the disputed South China Sea, the Philippines sits on a major geopolitical fault line, and is engaged in an ongoing territorial dispute with China over numerous islands in the sea.

While an international tribunal in 2016 ruled in favor of the Philippines’ claims, Marcos stated during his campaign that he would seek a new agreement with his friends in the Chinese government.

Blinken is currently on a ten-day trip to Cambodia, Philippines, South Africa, Congo, and Rwanda. It follows Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan on Tuesday, despite repeated warnings from Beijing that doing so would have diplomatic and military consequences.

Although Taiwan has been self-governed since 1949, China still claims sovereignty over the island and considers high-level visits like Pelosi’s to be tacit endorsements of Taiwanese independence.

The US has officially recognized Beijing’s claim over Taiwan since the 1970s under the One-China policy.

In response to Pelosi’s visit, China launched large-scale military exercises, imposed trade restrictions on Taiwan, sanctioned Pelosi and her family, and cut communications with Washington on key issues like maritime security, transnational law enforcement, and climate change. As China’s military drills continued into the weekend, Chinese military officials are reportedly refusing to answer calls from their American counterparts.

Homepage News..

Police in Hong Kong it have arrested two civil servants for sedition post on social media.

Hong Kong’s national security police arrested two civil servants Tuesday (Aug 9) for allegedly publishing seditious posts online, police said.

Sedition is a colonial-era offence that has been dusted off to snuff out dissent after Beijing imposed a national security law on Hong Kong two years ago.

More than one-fifth of the 128 people prosecuted for national security offences in the city faced charges such as uttering seditious words and attempting to act with seditious intention.

Since the beginning of August, four civil servants have been arrested for sedition, including two men rounded up by the national security police on Tuesday.

The police said the pair, aged 28 and 29, were administrators of a social media page that allegedly disseminated seditious messages promoting feelings of hostility between different classes of the population.

A police source told AFP that the pair managed a Facebook page called Civil Servants Secrets, which publishes anonymous posts by government workers.

As of Tuesday evening, the page had been taken down.

Police said five other men were also investigated in relation to the case and two of them who were paramedics, according to local media were arrested for suspected fraud.

The Fire Services Department confirmed that five of their staff members were under police investigation.

Last week, an Inland Revenue Department officer was brought to court over a sedition charge and denied bail.

Homepage News..

FBI searched Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate as part of an investigation into whether he took classified records from the White House

According to Homepage news channel, it was learnt that the FBI searched Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate as part of an investigation into whether he took classified records from the White House to his Florida residence, people familiar with the matter said, a dramatic and unprecedented escalation of law enforcement scrutiny of the former president.

Trump, disclosing the search in a lengthy statement, asserted that agents had opened a safe at his home and described their work as an unannounced raid that he likened to prosecutorial misconduct.

He planned to meet later on Tuesday (Aug 9) at his Bedminster, New Jersey, club with members of the Republican Study Committee, a group headed by Representative Jim Banks of Indiana that says it is committed to putting forth his priorities in Congress.

Monday’s search intensified the months-long probe into how classified documents ended up in boxes of White House records located at Mar-a-Lago earlier this year.

A separate grand jury is investigating efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, and it all adds to potential legal peril for Trump as he lays the groundwork for another run.

Familiar battle lines, forged during a a four-year presidency shadowed by investigations, quickly took shape again Monday night.

Trump and his allies sought to cast the search as a weaponisation of the criminal justice system and a Democratic-driven effort to keep him from winning another term in 2024 though the Biden White House said it had no prior knowledge of it, and the current FBI director, Christopher Wray, was appointed by Trump five years ago.

These are dark times for our Nation, as my beautiful home, Mar-A-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida, is currently under siege, raided, and occupied by a large group of FBI agents, Trump wrote. Nothing like this has ever happened to a President of the United States before.

After working and cooperating with the relevant Government agencies, this unannounced raid on my home was not necessary or appropriate, Trump said.

Justice Department spokesperson Dena Iverson declined to comment on the search, including whether Attorney General Merrick Garland had personally authorised it.

The FBI reached out to the Secret Service shortly before serving a warrant, a third person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

Secret Service agents contacted the Justice Department and were able to validate the warrant before facilitating access to the estate, the person said.

The Justice Department has been investigating the potential mishandling of classified information since the National Archives and Records Administration said it had received from Mar-a-Lago 15 boxes of White House records, including documents containing classified information, earlier this year. The National Archives said Trump should have turned over that material upon leaving office, and it asked the Justice Department to investigate.

There are multiple federal laws governing the handling of classified records and sensitive government documents, including statutes that make it a crime to remove such material and retain it at an unauthorised location.

Though a search warrant does not necessarily mean criminal charges are near or even expected, federal officials looking to obtain one must first demonstrate to a judge that they have probable cause that a crime occurred.

Two people familiar with the matter, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation, said the search on Monday was related to the records probe. Agents were also looking to see if Trump had additional presidential records or any classified documents at the estate.

Trump has previously maintained that presidential records were turned over “in an ordinary and routine process.

His son Eric said on Fox News on Monday night that he had spent the day with his father and that the search happened because “the National Archives wanted to corroborate whether or not Donald Trump had any documents in his possession.

Asked how the documents ended up at Mar-a-Lago, Eric Trump said the boxes were among items that got moved out of the White House during “six hours” on Inauguration Day, as the Bidens prepared to move into the building.

My father always kept press clippings, Eric Trump said. He had boxes, when he moved out of the White House.

Trump emerged from Trump Tower in New York City shortly before 8pm and waved to bystanders before being driven away in an SUV.

In his first public remarks since news of the search surfaced, Trump made no mention of it during a tele-town hall on behalf of Leora Levy, the Connecticut Republican he has endorsed in Tuesday’s US Senate primary.

But in a social media post Monday night, he called it a “weaponisation of the Justice System, and an attack by Radical Left Democrats who desperately don’t want me to run for President in 2024.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, a Republican who is considered a potential 2024 presidential candidate, said on Twitter that it was an escalation in the weaponisation of US government agencies. Kevin McCarthy, the House minority leader, said in a tweet that if Republicans win control of the US House, they will investigate the Justice Department.

Trump took a different stance during the 2016 presidential campaign, frequently pointing to an FBI investigation into his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, over whether she mishandled classified information via a private email server she used as secretary of state.

Then-FBI Director James Comey concluded that Clinton had sent and received classified information, but the FBI did not recommend criminal charges.

Trump lambasted that decision and then stepped up his criticism of the FBI as agents began investigating whether his campaign had colluded with Russia to tip the 2016 election.

He fired Comey during that probe, and though he appointed Wray months later, he repeatedly criticised him, too, as president.

Thomas Schwartz, a Vanderbilt University history professor who studies and writes about the presidency, said there is no precedent for a former president facing an FBI raid even going back to Watergate.

President Richard Nixon wasn’t allowed to take tapes or other materials from the White House when he resigned in 1974, Schwartz noted, and many of his papers remained in Washington for years before being transferred to his presidential library in California.

The probe is hardly the only legal headache confronting Trump. A separate investigation related to efforts by him and his allies to undo the results of the 2020 presidential election which led to the Jan 6, 2021, riot at the US Capitol has also been intensifying in Washington.

Several former White House officials have received grand jury subpoenas.

And a district attorney in Fulton County, Georgia, is investigating whether Trump and his close associates sought to interfere in that state’s election, which was won by Democrat Joe Biden.

Homepage News..

Cuba fuel depot fire has left one firefighter dead and 14 others missing.

Helicopters and firefighters battled on Tuesday (Aug 9) to gain access to four tanks at a fuel depot that has been ablaze for days, hoping to deploy special foam to control the flames.

The fire, which started on Friday, has left one firefighter dead and 14 more missing.

From dawn, AFP reporters saw four military helicopters flying over the depot in Matanzas, an industrial city around 100 kilometers west of Havana, dropping sea water in a bid to extinguish the blaze.

Four out of the eight tanks on site have already fallen victim to the flames, deputy fire chief Alexander Avalos Jorge said, and authorities are now trying to protect the other four.

The firefighting teams continue to clear a path to the flames so the teams charged with applying the foam can get to the place, said Matanzas governor Mario Sabines on Twitter.

Sabines added that the smoke from the fire had left visibility at a minimum and drones were being used to provide greater precision to operations.

Firefighters and specialists in fuel fires from Mexico and Venezuela have arrived in Cuba to help their local counterparts.

The fire broke out on Friday in the city of 140,000 people after lightning struck one of the tanks at the depot, which is of strategic importance for the island nation.

Each of the eight tanks can hold up to 50 million liters of fuel – three have collapsed while a fourth has been engulfed by flames.

Some 125 people injured by the blaze were taken to hospital with 22 remaining in care.

Some 5,000 people have been evacuated from around the disaster zone, authorities reported.

Two firefighters previously reported as missing have been located among those receiving hospital treatment.

Homepage News..

Timo Werner has signed a four-year contract to return to Bundesliga.

Chelsea’s Germany striker Timo Werner has signed a four-year contract to return to Bundesliga side RB Leipzig, the two clubs announced on Tuesday.

British media said Leipzig are bringing Werner back for about £25 million (US$30.21 million) after Chelsea paid the Germany forward’s £45 million release clause in 2020.

The 26-year-old spent the largest part of his senior career at RB Leipzig between 2016-20 and is the club’s all-time top scorer with 95 goals.

Timo Werner’s signing is a special transfer for us, Leipzig’s commercial director for sport Florian Scholz said.

We saw Timo become the club’s record goalscorer and a Germany international. His return means a lot to the supporters because Timo was a real fan favourite and figure of identification for a lot of people.

Werner made his Germany debut in a Confederations Cup win over Australia in June 2017 and now has 50 caps.

I’m very happy to be able to play for RB Leipzig again, Werner told the club’s website.

I had a great time here when we performed brilliantly as newcomers in the league.

I’m looking forward to the new season with RB Leipzig and above all to meeting the Leipzig fans again, who mean a great deal to me. We want to achieve a lot and, of course, I want to become the first Leipzig player to reach the 100-goal mark.

Werner parted ways with Chelsea after two years at the Premier League club, where he lifted the Champions League trophy plus the UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup in 2021.

He made 89 appearances for Chelsea, scoring 23 goals.

Dear Blues, today marks the end of my journey with Chelsea FC, Werner said, as he posted a goodbye message to the fans on his social media platforms.

I felt so much love and support throughout the last two years and I will never forget how you guys stood behind me in good and in challenging times.

We lifted trophies like the Champions League together and I will always remember the song you wrote and chanted for me.

I’m already looking forward to hopefully playing at Stamford Bridge again one day

Homepage News..

No fewer than 21 persons reportedly killed in Mali by terrorist.

At least 21 people were killed in a terror attack in Mali, the West African country’s army said Monday evening.

The victims included four civilians and 17 Malian troops.

A further 22 people were injured in the attack on Sunday afternoon near the city of Test, which sits close to the border with Niger and Burkina Faso.

The Malian army also said it killed at least seven terrorists and that the attackers took away more of their own wounded and dead.

Homepage News..

Six Shiites members allegedly killed by security agents, 40 others severely injured.

The Islamic Movement of Nigeria, on Monday, said security agents killed at least six of its members and injured about 40 other followers of its leader, Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky.

In a short statement, IMN stated that the incident occurred during the group’s Ashura mourning procession in Zaria, Kaduna.

Security forces have, today, Monday, gunned down at least seven followers of Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky (H), and injured over 40 others during the Ashura mourning procession in Zaria which was observed peacefully across Nigeria and different parts of the world, the statement read.

Homepage News..

The bandits who attack worshippers in Owo town in Ondo state have been arrested.

The Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor, has said those behind the Owo attacks have been arrested.

Some gunmen had stormed St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State, killing no fewer than 40 worshippers.

The Federal Government, however, said the Islamic States of West Africa Province terrorists were behind the attack.

During a meeting with editors and media executives in Abuja on Tuesday, the Chief of Defence Staff confirmed that the Owo attackers had been nabbed. Irabor said the suspects would be paraded after an investigation had been concluded into the matter.

Within the last time we met, we have recorded remarkable achievement. Let me bring it to your notice that within the same period, there have been ignoble actions of men of the underworld that have impinged on our collective well-being, namely the unfortunate train attack, the attack on Kuje correctional center as well as what has been reported in the past the attack on the presidential convoy.

Also, the Owo incident which was intended to bring man and women of the armed forces to present them in a form and shape that make it to look as if the nation is on a siege. We have arrested those behind the dastardly act in Owo.

It was my intention to present them to the public, but because of the investigation still going on, I had to change my mind. I will like to say that in due course, the world will see them and others who are behind other daring attacks in the country.

Homepage News..