Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky hail success after 30 settlement was liberated.

President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said at least 30 settlements had been liberated in Kharkiv region during the advance of recent days.

Our army, intelligence units and the security services are carrying out active engagements in several operational areas. They are doing so successfully, he said in a video address.

Ukrainian officials have released a barrage of images of troops sweeping into previously Russian-held towns and being embraced by local residents who had been under Russian military occupation for six months.

Oleksiy Arestovych, an adviser to Ukraine’s presidential office, in a video posted on YouTube, said the Russians in Izium were almost isolated.

Ukraine’s advance in the east is by far its most rapid success in months, after a long period in which the war had shifted into a relentless grind along entrenched front lines.

It came as a surprise just a week after Kyiv announced the start of a long-awaited counter-attack to reclaim Russian-occupied territory hundreds of kilometres away at the opposite end of the front in Kherson in the south.

Less information has been made public about that operation but Kyiv has also claimed some successes there, cutting supply routes to thousands of Russian troops isolated on the west bank of the Dnipro River.

We see success in Kherson now, we see some success in Kharkiv and so that is very, very encouraging, US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told a news conference in Prague on Thursday.

Tens of thousands of people have been killed, millions have been driven from their homes and Russian forces have destroyed entire cities since launching what Moscow calls a special military operation to disarm Ukraine.

Russia denies intentionally targeting civilians.

Homepage News..

Ukrainian forces have reached the city of Kupiansk, where rail lines linking Russia to eastern Ukraine converge.

Ukrainian officials shared photos on Saturday (Sep 10) showing troops raising the nation’s flag over the main railway city that has supplied Russian forces in northeastern Ukraine, as a collapse in Russia’s frontline threatened to turn into a rout.

A Reuters journalist inside a vast area recaptured in recent days by the advancing Ukrainian forces saw Ukrainian police patrolling towns and boxes of ammunition lying in heaps at positions abandoned by fleeing Russian soldiers.

With Ukrainians now having reached the city of Kupiansk, where rail lines linking Russia to eastern Ukraine converge, the advance had penetrated all the way to Moscow’s main logistics route, potentially trapping thousands of Russian troops.

Natalia Popova, adviser to the head of the Kharkiv regional council, shared photos on Facebook of troops holding up a Ukrainian flag in front of Kupiansk city hall.

A Russian flag lay at their feet. Kupiansk is Ukraine. Glory to the armed forces of Ukraine, she wrote.

Ukraine’s security service confirmed Kyiv had forces inside Kupiansk.

In Hrakove, one of dozens of recaptured villages, Reuters journalists saw burnt out vehicles bearing the “Z” symbol of Russia’s invasion, and piles of rubbish and ammunition in positions the Russians had abandoned in evident haste.

Hello everyone, we are from Russia, was spray-painted on a wall.

Three bodies lay in white body bags in a yard.

The regional chief of police, Volodymyr Tymoshenko, said Ukrainian police had moved in the previous day, and had checked the identities of local residents who had lived under Russian occupation since the invasion’s second day.

The first function is to provide help that they need. The next job is to document the crimes committed by Russian invaders on the territories which they temporarily occupied.

The capture of at least part of Kupiansk, if confirmed, potentially leaves thousands of Russian soldiers trapped at the frontline and cut off from supplies, including in Izium, Russia’s main stronghold and logistics hub in the northeast.

Reuters could not independently verify the situation in either Kupiansk or Izium. Moscow has acknowledged that its frontline has buckled in Kharkiv but has said it is rushing extra troops to reinforce the area. Russian-installed regional officials have called for civilians to evacuate both cities.

Britain’s Ministry of Defence in an intelligence update said: A Russian force around Izium is likely increasingly isolated.

Ukrainian units are now threatening the town of Kupiansk; its capture would be a significant blow to Russia because it sits on supply routes to the Donbas front line.

Mark Hertling, a retired four-star general and former commander of United States ground forces in Europe, tweeted: Make no mistake, (Ukraine) is executing a brilliant maneuver focused on terrain objectives to ‘bag’ Russians.

But the Russians are helping them by doing very little to counter.

Homepage News..

Monkey pox discovered in Hong Kong health authorities said on Tuesday.

Hong Kong has reported its first case of monkeypox, health authorities said on Tuesday after symptoms were discovered in a 30-year-old man who arrived from the Philippines after travelling in the United States and Canada.

It marks the first imported case in Hong Kong of monkeypox, a viral disease that the World Health Organization has declared a global health emergency.

The Chinese special administrative region, like the mainland, has not had any local monkeypox cases.

Monkeypox typically causes mild symptoms including fever, aches and skin lesions.

Hong Kong’s government will raise the response level for the monkeypox outbreak to an alert level, health authorities told a media briefing on Tuesday.

More than 90 countries where monkeypox is not endemic have reported outbreaks, as confirmed cases crossed 52,700 and non-endemic countries reported their first related deaths.

Hong Kong’s government is expected to procure a vaccine against monkeypox this month and said it has stepped up surveillance for the virus amongst travellers and within the local community.

Homepage News..

Six injured three dead after crane collapse at a construction site in Hong Kong.

No fewer than three men were killed and six others injured after a Hong Kong crane collapsed at a construction site on Wednesday (Sep 7), with rescuers trying for hours in vain to reach a victim trapped under the wreckage.

One man was confirmed dead at the site in Kowloon after suffering a skull fracture while another died after being rushed to hospital, authorities said.

Dozen of workers from the city’s Urban Search and Rescue Team worked around the crumpled tower crane, which had fallen onto multiple cargo containers used as temporary offices, trying to retrieve a third victim.

We can only see the lower half of his body, and he was unresponsive when we tried to communicate with him, fire services official Yim Ying-kit told reporters.

(The crane) is quite heavy so we need various tools and risk assessment before we can rescue the trapped worker.

Police later confirmed that the man was also killed.

The crane was in operation when it collapsed shortly before 11am but was not carrying any load at the time, Yim said.

Some construction workers were in the cargo containers when the crane fell onto them, he added.

After inspecting the site, Secretary for Labour and Welfare Chris Sun told reporters there was a clear problem with the crane’s base and ordered work to be suspended at the site.

Hong Kong leader John Lee said the labour department would investigate the incident and inspect construction sites using cranes to ensure they complied with safety standards.

Lawmaker Kwok Wai-keung, who represents the labour sector in Hong Kong, said crane collapses are rare in the city and called the accident a major blow to the industry.

The crane was installed in August and had been in use before Wednesday’s accident, authorities said.

The scene of the accident was part of a massive construction site for a subsidised public housing project that aimed to create 19,000 homes, the South China Morning Post reported.

Homepage News..

No fewer than three persons have been killed in Croatia train crash.

At least three people were killed and 11 were injured when a passenger train collided with a stationary freight train in central Croatia, officials said on Saturday (Sep 10).

The accident occurred at 9.30pm on Friday (Saturday, 3.30am, Singapore time) near the central town of Novska, some 100km southeast of Zagreb, an interior ministry statement said.

According to current information, three people were killed and 11 injured” who were hospitalised, Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic, who went to the scene, told reporters on Saturday.

None of the injuries were life-threatening. The cause of the collision was not yet known.

The prime minister said the injured included foreign nationals, but did not provide further details.

A Red Cross official told the state-run HINA news agency eight foreign nationals were among the injured and added they were most likely migrants.

A hospital in the nearby town of Nova Gradiska said they had admitted a five-member Iranian family.

Homepage News..

Bill Burns said consider the history of the war and the history of Putin like something other than a failure.

The war unleashed on February 24, the Kremlin pensioner showed only the weak points of the Russian army.

According to Newsweek, CIA director Bill Burns said at a conference on cybersecurity in Washington that it is impossible to consider the history of the war and the history of Putin like something other than a failure.

Not only was the weakness of the Russian armed forces revealed, as a result of this, long-term losses will be inflicted on the Russian economy and generations of Russians, he stressed.

Bern noted that Russia will have to pay a very high price for a long time, because Ukraine is fighting, as evidenced by the successes in the counteroffensive in the south and Kharkiv region.

According to official data, over the last within a week, Ukraine recaptured more than one thousand square kilometers of territory, which is almost the size of New York, along with the water area and dozens of settlements.

Homepage News..

Who are they? Our leaders, honourable or horrible? Question unanswered.

Homepage News..

Ohanaeze Ndigbo fires back at Adamu Garba.

The Ohanaeze Ndigbo has fired back at the former presidential aspirant, Adamu Garba, who said on social media some hours ago that the government should rename the University of Nigeria Nsukka to the name of Queen Elizabeth II, who just died.

However, when the Secretary-General of the Igbo group, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro, was reacting to this, according to the daily post, he made it known that the South East had already dedicated a hospital to the late Queen of England.

The Federal Medical Centre, Umuahia, was already named after the late British Monarch.

The hospital was known as the Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre, Umuahia.

However, there is nothing like that in the north. No building in the north was named after the late Queen Elizabeth. The northerners should do that instead of tampering with the University of Nigeria.

The Nigerian government should compensate for the role that Queen Elizabeth played in how the country became independent by renaming the government house in Abuja known as Aso Rock after Queen Elizabeth, because that would be the best way to compensate for her contribution to Nigeria.

Homepage News..

Ghana pays tribute to Queen Elizabeth 11 Britain Longest serving Monarch.

Homepage News..